Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The final email

Believe it or not this is the last weekly email I will write on my mission.

It hasn't set in that I will be going home next week, I think it will probably finally hit me on the morning that I wake up and go to the train station, but I'm not complaining I want to make every second count.

In the Preston MTC I assigned to serve with Elder Mahrt, and then a week later we gained Elder Schulthies to our companionship. From both of them I learned how to smile and have fun no matter what, and that the Lord provides us with the strength we need to fulfil our callings.

My first area was Christchurch where I was trained by Elder Poulino. From Elder Poulino I learned lessons that blessed me my entire mission, but especially how to be diligent and work hard no matter how hard or long the day may be. Then I served with Elder Rife, who taught me the importance of being yourself as a missionary.

After that I served in Hamble River, where I served with Elder Remon. From him I learned to completely rely on the Lord. I also served with Elder Senkans from my MTC group. With Elder Senkans I learned the importance of acting on faith and walking the Lord's path, whether or not we can see the way before us.

Next I served for a long time in Croydon! I served first with Elder Belnap, who taught me how to gain the trust of those around us by serving them and loving them. After that I served with Elder Probst, who taught me the priceless nature of a full-time mission and gained a greater love for reading the scriptures.

In Croydon I was also blessed to serve with Elder Chrimes from the beginning of his mission. I served with him for a long time and learned many lessons, but the greatest of all was the importance of constantly and consistently improving, no matter how good we may be.

Then I spent a short time in Crystal Palace with Elder Chazuka. From him I learned how important it is to leave everything behind when the Lord calls you and watched him live the promise the Savior gave "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 10:38.

My last area was Peckham, where I learned from Elder Howe many ways to minister and uplift the missionaries around us. And my final companion is Elder Ribeiro, with whom I learned the importance of working hard and working smart, and relying on the Lord to help us change and become better people.

I can't sum up in words all of the lessons that I've learned, because many of them I am still learning. I know the Lord qualifies whom He calls. I know that He cares about every one of us, infinitely. We hear it said so often but it is precious, priceless knowledge that we need to share with those that do not know it.

Rather than draw out a long and intricate testimony, I will keep it as simple as it needs to be. I know that Jesus Christ our Savior lives.

"I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell. I have charity for my people, and great faith in Christ that I shall meet many souls spotless at his judgment-seat."- 2 Nephi 33:6&7

I love you all more than words can tell. Please keep in touch. I'll see you soon!

Elder Draney

No comments:

Post a Comment